An original native of St. Croix, Virgin Islands, Holstein got his start in the numbers game on Wall Street. After a stint in the Navy and working as a porter and a doorman, Holstein worked his way to Wall Street as head messenger for a brokerage firm. While on the street, he studied the stock market and familiarized himself with numbers. Like many poor people of the time, he took his knowledge to the gangs, earning a living by running an illegal lottery he nicknamed Bolito. By 1920, the kid from the West Indies had become the “Bolito King,” head of the most successful underground lottery system of the time.
- Welcome Back Joy! The New Joy 107.1 Launches Monday! Read More
- Faith and Family Night - Pastor of the Year
- Chipotle Outbreak Reaches Ohio -- 6 states, 45 Cases Total
- Kandi Burruss & Todd Tucker Snag Another Spin-Off Series
- Biggest Black Friday Deals 2015: Store List and Savings
- First Look at Preachers of Atlanta Cast