An original native of St. Croix, Virgin Islands, Holstein got his start in the numbers game on Wall Street. After a stint in the Navy and working as a porter and a doorman, Holstein worked his way to Wall Street as head messenger for a brokerage firm. While on the street, he studied the stock market and familiarized himself with numbers. Like many poor people of the time, he took his knowledge to the gangs, earning a living by running an illegal lottery he nicknamed Bolito. By 1920, the kid from the West Indies had become the “Bolito King,” head of the most successful underground lottery system of the time.
- Jarrod Lawson Covers Anthony Hamilton…Wow!!!
- Tyler Perry's 'Madea On The Run' TexT To Win Ticket Give Away
- Congratulations! The Tankards Welcome A New Baby! [PHOTO]
- Tragic! Brownstone Singer Charmayne Maxwell Dies From Fatal Fall
- Mo'Nique Says She Was Supposed to Play "Cookie" in TV Show Empire [VIDEO]
- Tiny is Killing the Shoe Game