Last week’s horrific ad via a Lebanon handbag designer was just the latest crime.
The above appalling ad, via Lebanese luxury bags, belts, and accessories designer Johnny Farah, first appeared online last week.
But like pearls and a little black dress, violent imagery and women’s fashion have gone together forever.
We’ve gathered a sampling of some disturbing ads and editorial shoots. Mind you, this post could have gone on for hundreds of images, but we had to stop somewhere.
Many of the photographers featured here have angrily lashed back at criticism, saying what they’re doing is “art.”
Ha, no that’s wrong.
This is what they’re doing: being abjectly lazy.
Fashion creative directors often scoff at ad agency people because they don’t have the unfettered freedom fashion ad makers have.
And yet with so much “freedom,” ad after ad, spread after spread, hinges on the same lame concept
It’s just pathetic.
2. Everybody has seen this D&G ad from 2007.
3. The infamous CK Lara Stone “rape” ad.
4. A more subtle one from CK. But we know exactly what is being implied here with the use of the shadow.
5. Lara Stone in a 2009 editorial shoot by Steven Klein for Vogue Paris.
6. Another shoot by Steven Klein from a 2012 issue of Interview featuring Crystal Renn and Karolina Kurkova.
7. A fashion spread from a 2012 issue of Bulgarian magazine 12. Two more images below.
9. In 2009, Melbourne shoe company Loula pulled this ad soon after it ran.
10. Another dead woman in a trunk image via a 2006 Jimmy Choo ad. Guest appearance by Quincy Jones.
11. The “fake dead” spread is very popular in fashion mags. This image is from a 2010 issue of Lula. Shot by Ellen Von Unwerth.
12. “Shoes for men and women” Seriously, what’s the fucking point?
13. Supreme, the “edgy” skate shop.
14. More subtly violent Images from a 2011 Lanvin ad campaign.
15. From a “sale” shoot by Miles Aldridge.
16. From a shoot called “The Hermit” by Baldovino Barani.
17. 1997 ad for Redwall handbags. Shot by Helmut Newton, so it’s “art.”
18. Another D&G ad, from 2006, shot by Steven Meisel.
19. 2009 ad for Italian brand Relish.
20. 2010 ad for Blender, a fashion concept store in Istanbul.